- Both teams come out with lots of energy
- Irving is off – not surprising. He misses badly on several shots
- Great defensive plays by the Sixers, blocking the Celtics in the paint
- the Sixers went cold – very cold and the Celtics went up by 7
- Simmons brought the team back with some great drives
- the score is tied at 21 at the end of the quarter
Takeaways – Embiid is not dominating. So far, Horford has him in check. Fultz missed the only shot he took.
- Hayward hit two jumpers
- Baines defended Embiid well, rebounds for a Smart hit
- The Celtics go up again
- Roxier blocks Embiid??
- Embiid bad pass for a Tatum layup
- Embiid hits a 3, but Shammet misses. Fultz hits a 2 and then misses one
- the Sixers are now 2 or 9 for the quarter
- Simmons has a great drive – down 32 – 28
- the game settles down a bit
- Simmons puts on a passing clinic
- JJ hits a pai of 2’s
- More Sixer turnovers
- JJ movement is having an effect on Celtic defense
- Half time Celtics up 47 – 42
Takeaways – The Sixers can’t hit the broadside of a barn from outside. Embiid has been erratic. They are living off great individual effort by Simmons and great defense, especially in the paint. RoCo h has had a terrible first half. Fultz settled down a bit towards the mid point of the 2nd quarter. It is amazing that the Sixers are in this game the way they are shooting.
- Nice block on Simmons
- Baynes hits a 3 – Uggh
- Kyrie finally gets 2 from the line after an Embiid foul
- Irving his a 3 – Tatum dunks
- Sixers still cold – Celtics are now up by double digits
- Sixers can’t seem to get into rhythm
- after a time out – the sixers get a few – RoCo hits a 3
- TJ has a nice drive
- uggh – the Sixers lost mojo and again are down by 11 at the end of 3
Takeaways – this was a Celtics quarter. They did not have to work as hard on offense to get good shots and make them. The Sixers lost control of the defensive boards at a critical moment. The Sixers are not out of it, but will have to find a way to establish their will in the 4th. BTW, Hayward had a good 3rd. Irving still looks out of it.
- Embiid hits one of two from the line
- Brown hits 2 quickies and the Celtics are up 82-67
- Sixers defensive breakdown leads to Irving layup
- Baynes is having a good 4th – rebounding and hi a corner 3
- So far in the 4th, the Sixers don’t look like they have a run in them
- Simmons has a drive, JJ hits a 3 – and the Sixers cu the lead to 89 – 77 – Celtics timeout – the Celtics have missed a few, and the Sixers found some rhythm.
- Sixers cut it to 11 – but missed on 2 straight offensive sets
- Embiid hits two- now 94-85
- Tatum hits an amazing 2 over Embiid – Sixers have started to sputter
- Rozier hits a 3 – ouch – with 3 to go.
- Hayward just hit a corner 3 – that is pretty much it with less than 2 minutes to go. Celtics up 103 – 87
Takeways – The Sixers could not shoot from outside and could not feed the ball effectively into the paint. Fultz played with spirit, but did not make a difference. Simmons had a great game, but could not carry the team. They need better ball movement if they want to compete against the Celtics. They are working too hard to score. Their defense broke down in the 2d half as well. Hmmm — was this due to JJ getting minutes from Fultz? They did have some nice steals – especially Simmons and RoCo. But in general, the Celtics were able to find open shots and hit them when it counted. The Sixers missed open shots all night.