Donald Trump blew into town for the annual NATO Summit with an agenda. It was not an agenda to strengthen NATO, which is peculiar because that is clearly what Congress wants him to do. From Bloomberg
Even as Trump was heading to Europe, the U.S. Senate voted 97-2 on Tuesday for a non-binding resolution supporting NATO. The U.S. House followed up Wednesday with its own version. House Speaker Paul Ryan called NATO “indispensable,” but he added that Trump is correct in prodding other countries to pay more for their defense.
But this is what happened
President Donald Trump began this week’s NATO summit with more broadsides against US allies, tarring Germany as “totally controlled by Russia” and again exhorting members to increase domestic defense spending to “2% of GDP IMMEDIATELY, not by 2025,” misstating the non-legally-binding guideline to reach that spending level by 2024.
Of course, Trump knows that Republicans who control Congress will ignore all of this. And he knows that they will ignore whatever happens when Trump meets Putin in a few days.
The disconnect is obvious. Out of the blue, the president is tearing down an alliance that was created by the US, and that serves US interests. It is not because the American people want this. And it is not because Congress wants it. It is a whim of Trump the individual.
Whether you are a Democrat or a Republican, it is time to reflect on how this person is damaging the US.
- Despite intelligence community assessments and the conclusions of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Trump is ignoring the ongoing threat of further Russian meddling in US elections.
- Trump is degrading the rule of law by meddling in Department of Justice and FBI investigations for his own personal reasons.
- Trump has started trade wars that could very easily spark a global recession . despite the fact that Congress, and not the president is supposed to have control over tariffs except when national security issues require presidential action. There is no claim that national security is at stake here.
- Trump is damaging key US relationships with its allies and embracing leaders who are openly hostile to US interests
- Trump is playing politics with global security in his grandstanding with North Korea and Iran
- The Trump Administration has pursued policies that are abhorrent to core US values like separating parents from children at the border without any system for reuniting them.
- Trump and the Trump Administration repeatedly misrepresent facts that are critical to debate while accusing the media of spreading “fake news”. The effect is to degrade public discord and reduce trust on our institutions and weaken a core value of freedom of the press.
The above list is not complete. We will find out more. But meanwhile, itsn’t the above enough to think about how to stop this madness? Congressional Republicans have the power to do this at any given moment. They have chosen not to, which speaks volumes about who these people are.
If you are distressed by the above — and if you are not distressed, please explain why you think the above is not a matter of concern — the best you can do is to vote, get your friends to vote, and get your friends’ friends to vote in order to take control of Congress away from Republicans and allow Democrats to stand up to Trump and Trumpism.
The November midterms are the most important elections of this generation. Don’t fool yourself into thinking that everything will be ok without your efforts. It will get worse if we sit back as if we are at the movies. No superheroes will zoom in to save us from ourselves. And we will not be able to leave the theater when we no longer like the story line.